Friday, January 8, 2010

Double Down on New Year's Resolutions

Yesterday evening was the first time I doubled up in a workout. Biking 23 miles and then running 3 was not as hard as I imagined. I was quite pleased with myself until I realized that I was happy about running 11% of a third of the race after biking 20% of another third of the race. Not exactly ironman material yet, but 10% there.



New Year's resolutions are great things. Everyone wants to change something in their lives' and the new year brings to everyone a sense of renewal, and hope that this year will be the year they quit smoking, or learn Spanish, or learn the guitar, anything to better themselves. These resolutions have varying degrees of success, some studies showing around 97% of resolutions will not be kept. Personally, a few years ago I resolved to stop drinking soda which was a great success, I haven't had soda in 5 years (unless there is liquor in it), however nearly every other resolution I have made I have broken. With Americans' waistlines expanding every year weight loss resolutions are becoming increasingly popular, and increasingly a pain in my ass.



It must be a great thing owning a gym, or fitness club and knowing that one or two weeks into the year and you'll have nearly filled your membership quota for the year. And, with 67% of gym memberships going unused and a majority of the rest being underused, those making resolutions to lose weight by joining a gym might as well just send a stacks of bills to the owner. But, the real pain in the ass is the one or two weeks that these helplessly hopeful fools actually follow through with their resolutions, and get in my way. Packed houses everywhere, all over the gym, all over the yoga studio, everywhere. Exercising in jeans, in khaki capris, in ridiculous get-ups because they don't have workout gear for the very same reason their resolution will inevitably fail, they don't work out and never have. Starting with small goals and working towards a healthier lifestyle will be more successful than blindly joining a gym. Set goals for yourself, attainable goals, and once reached set another. Most people set unreachable goals for their resolutions without expecting to accomplish them. Instead, for at least a few weeks, they just make life difficult for me and my quest for ironmandom.


Miles covered so far:

Running: 10.3

Biking: 43

No comments:

Post a Comment