Friday, June 4, 2010

World Cup!

A week of rest and relaxation following the half-ironman was a much needed respite. I spent the entire week following the race doing no training whatsoever. It was beautiful, I enjoyed the extra time the day seems to hold when you're not doing anything, and a trip to San Fran. But, I'm back at it, and things down here in Houston are heating up. Hydration and sunscreen are going to become more and more important as the oppressive Houston summer bears down on me, but even more important will be my resolve. We'll see how I stand up to the heat.

But all of that is unimportant now. The World Cup is upon us, and I am excited. I love the games, I love the venues, I love the extreme nationalism wrapped up in enthusiasm for your team. Very few Americans actually like soccer, but give us a them against the world team format to cheer for and we'll get behind it. Just like we did with the Hockey Gold Medal game, congrats Canada you won a game in overtime that 95% of Americans don't know how to play, no one cares anymore. But during the game I'd be lying if I didn't say things and do things to Canadian friends of mine that outside of the context of sport would've destroyed our friendships, and possibly gotten me arrested. But, I digress. The World Cup starts next weekend, and if there's anything Americans love more than an Us against the world setting it's an Us against the Brits setting, and that's just what we get. England has spent the better part of four centuries (Jamestown 1607) looking down their noses at those of us across the pond for absolutely no reason. The arrogance is staggering, especially considering we've spent the better part of 2 and a half centuries kicking their asses in everything. So in preparation for the showdown next weekend I've put together a little presentation detailing the dominance America has enjoyed at England's expense. I call it The History of the World, enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du9cDaQDy8A





Miles covered so far:

Swimming: 55.95

Biking: 1057.47

Running: 281.26

No comments:

Post a Comment