Monday, May 17, 2010

Half-assed Ironman Training

Apparently equals Half-Ironman training. Sunday morning/afternoon I raced in and completed the Amica Texasman Long Course Triathlon up in North Texas. Which consisted of a 1.2 mile swim in Lake Ray Roberts, a 56 mile bike ride through the ranch country of Valley View, TX, and a 13.1 mile run mostly through the trails of Johnson Branch State Park. I finished 33rd overall (5th in my age group) with a time of 5 hours and 34 minutes, way under the 6 hour goal I had set for myself. I was very pleased with the results, but ultimately this was a training race for the Ford Ironman Arizona (Nov. 21, Tempe) and a learning experience. So what did I learn along the way?



  • There is a gigantic statute of Sam Houston about 70 miles north of the city on I-45

  • Sam Houston had awesome Mutton Chops

  • Everybody loves Buc-ee's, everybody.

  • When a Texan tells you that a place has the best lasagna they've ever tried, it probably doesn't mean much.

  • BBQ Chex mix is not as delicious as it sounds

  • A pre-race dinner of Lasagna, a Greek Salad, and BBQ Chex Mix is apparently satisfactory

  • Falling asleep at 8 or 9 is difficult for a 25 year old

  • Staying asleep when you're worried about showing up late and you're staying in a cheap motel just off the interstate is impossible

  • Showing up early is definitely the way to go

  • I need a better way to transport my gear

  • Doing the swim portion of the race in a Speedo makes you a crazy person

  • But doing a half-ironman is a completely rational pursuit

  • I weigh 79.4 Kg

  • Lake Ray Roberts tastes smoky

  • I should avoid drinking the water

  • It is easy to get lost in a lake

  • It is crazy difficult to change into biking gear wet and tired

  • Hills suck

  • Bananas are awesome

  • Having too much water is impossible

  • A mechanical problem during the bike portion would be the worst thing ever

  • I need new pedals

  • Hills suck

  • The bike portion of the race is mentally devastating

  • Long-course triathletes are incredibly supportive of one another

  • At mile 50 I would have run an extra 6 miles just to get off of my god-forsaken bike

  • I need a new saddle

  • Changing into running clothes from biking clothes is a snap

  • Mentally gearing up for a 13.1 mile run, less so

  • Race supporters and volunteers are amazing

  • Some people are machines

  • I am not a machine

  • Long-hair, headband, aviator combo was a hit with the crowd

  • kids think you're awesome if you let them spray you with water

  • kids that spray me with water are awesome

  • Sport gels are not delicious, but they work

  • Hills suck

  • Seeing an athlete succumb to the heat/exhaustion is distressing

  • Being handed water by an overweight volunteer smoking a cigarette is quite possibly the most extreme juxtaposition I've ever been involved with

  • At mile 12 I'd have given anything to be back on my godforsaken bike

  • That joke killed at mile 12

  • Finish line announcers can make anyone smile, even after 70.3 miles

All in all I was incredibly pleased with my performance. My hydration strategy worked to perfection (I didn't lose a single pound during the race), but I need to consume more calories on the bike, and be better prepared for the isolation the bike portion demands. The more reps I get in transition the better, and again the biking portion is the most important for your overall finish. Don't believe me? I had the 11th overall best swim time, the 31st best bike time, and the 40th best run; I finished 33rd overall. Link to results below.

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?orgID=216359&rsID=93195

Miles covered so far:


Swim: 52.2


Run: 257.16


Bike: 891.12

2 comments:

  1. woooooooooo this all sounds....monumental.

    my only hope is that one day i'll be able to do a fraction of things you just mentioned bud.

    awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete